Favorite Layouts for 2013

I'm probably not the first one to say this, but I can't believe 2013 is soon ending. My grandfather always told me that time starts to fly by once you hit 20, and I have to say, he was so right. Last month I turned 34, and the last 14 years seem to have passed like a blink of an eye.
I've been living in Austria for over two and a half years now. It doesn't feel like home yet, but it feels more like home than any other place, which is also something. When I visit my homeland, everything is very familiar, it's so nice to understand everything people say, but I do feel like a visitor. Weird.
And now back to scrapbooking.
I've made lots of layouts this year, more than in the two years before combined. I only started scrapbooking in 2011, I think since then my style has really changed and evolved, and I owe that to a few inspiring scrapbookers and some online classes. I will give credit and write my recommendations in the next posts. Inspiration is important, very important, but I think what also helps to scrap more, is scrapping more. The more layouts you make, the better you know what works for you, what you like, what you tend to use, which colors, which papers, which embellishments. That helps you become a better shopper.
Today I want to share my most loved layouts for 2013.
So, I chose 5 layouts, that I really like, not just because I love the photos (that is still the most important part of the layout for me, and the story when there is one), but because they represent something important for my style and way of scrapbooking.
Here's the first one-


It's funny, or maybe I shouldn't be surprised at all, that my favorite layouts were also some of the most popular posts on my blog. I guess when you do something you really love, people can tell. Or it was just a happy coincidence:)
Anyway, this layout was all about using wood veneers. I really like the idea of taking something I have in large quantities, and making it a central element. It was also a new strategy for me, to start with a product I wanted to use, as opposed to a photo and all my stash. It really helps me focus and use products. You can find the original post here.

Next one is also a good example of starting with products.



I have quite a few colorful ink pads, that sometimes get neglected because of the gorgeous patterned papers that keep coming out. So here I went with white cardstock and lots of colored ink. And I think the effect is quite striking. I think I have become braver with colors, and I'm really happy about that. Here's a link to that post, it was a part of a series of layouts in rainbow colors.

Layout no. 3 is all about watercolors. I've written many times about Wilna Furstenberg's classes and how she influenced my style, like here in the original post.


I noticed that my layouts tend to divide into two major groups, the ones with lots of patterned papers, and the ones with more mixed media. I'm glad I saw this pattern, because it makes the process faster. I usually decide right from the start which type of layout I'm going to create. If I start with the patterned papers, I usually don't even think about all my paints and inks. If I want to play with all those lovely mediums, I will grab a sheet of white cardstock and create my own background. The stages after that are quite similar, photos, title, journaling, and embellishing of course.

The last two layouts I chose are more about my own story. I do find them both very pleasing to the eye, they just came together so easily, but what makes them very special to me are the stories.


The first layout is about my home, the first (and I'm totally ok with it being the last, wow that's a serious thought right there...) I've ever owned. I have moved way too many times in the last 14 years, including moving to another country, and I am soooo happy to settle down with my family. We can't believe it ourselves sometimes. We live in a small village, everything is green and peaceful, it's truly a dream come true for me.
I made this page thanks to a class I took, Hello Story, by Ali Edwards, but I will share more about that in a future post, along with other layouts. You can see the full post about this layout here.

The second one was a no brainer, and it might just be my favorite of all times. No explanations needed, this is truly what life is all about.

Love.



It couldn't have happened to a less romantic person, but I found my partner in Italy, during a vacation, and that was it. Just like in the  movies, it was so right. Ten years later, one wedding, one child, lots of love. I'm still a little overwhelmed with all this luck and love.
I made this layout for our 5th year wedding anniversary, I put it on my blog (here) with a few details about us, and I got the loveliest responses. This hobby attracts such lovely people, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for every kind word.
Well now, that became a little more emotional than I expected:) I'll share more of my favorite things till the end of 2013.
thanks for visiting!

Comments

Popular Posts